A best practice is to check your Chromebook once a week to see if updates need to be installed. Google releases frequent updates to the operating system (OS). If the operating system is outdated, that can lead to problems with how applications work and even the Chromebook itself. It is necessary to ensure the Chromebook Operating System (OS) is at its most current version.
- With normal usage and a wireless connection, the Chromebook should download OS updates within 45 minutes after powering on.
- An alert will be presented that states a restart is required to finish the update. This can also be accomplished by logging off.
- Once the OS is updated, applications (for example: TestNav) will update automatically.
If you know or have been told what the current ChromeOS version is, you can verify if your Chromebook has this current version by:
- Open up Chromebook, but do not log in yet.
- At the login screen, use the shortcut Alt + v.
- The current OS information will be presented in the upper right corner of the screen.
- If this doesn't match the current version you have been made aware of, then follow the below steps to complete a system update.
To check for updates, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Chromebook and click on the clock in the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
- Select the gear (Settings) icon in the upper right-hand corner.
(NOTE CHROME BROWSER UPDATES: If you are updating through your Chrome browser on a different device, click the 3 dots under the X in the top right corner, select Settings, then select About Chrome. Continue with the step 4).
- On the left-hand side of the pop-up panel, select About Chrome OS.
- Under "Google Chrome OS", you'll find which Chrome operating system version your Chromebook is currently running.
- Select Check for Updates. If there are updates to install, click the button and install updates.
- Once the update installation is complete, click restart. Restarting your Chromebook completes the updates and ensures they take effect.
Discover additional Best Tips for Chromebook Care.