A best practice is to check your Chromebook once a week to see if updates need to be installed. Google releases frequent updates to the operating system (OS). If the operating system is outdated, that can lead to problems with how applications work and even the Chromebook itself. It is necessary to ensure the Chromebook Operating System (OS) is at its most current version.
- With normal usage and a wireless connection, the Chromebook should download OS updates within 45 minutes after powering on.
- An alert will be presented that states a restart is required to finish the update.
- Once the OS is updated, applications (for example: TestNav) will update automatically.
To check the current ChromeOS version (before signing in to your Chromebook):
- At the Chromebook login screen, use the shortcut Alt + v.
- The current OS information will be presented in the upper right corner of the screen.
- If this doesn't match the current version, complete a system update.
Discover additional Best Tips for Chromebook Care.